Friday, May 14, 2010

Getting ready for a 6 week challenge!

A couple of months ago, one of my best friends in Germany - Andrea - told me that she would get married in July (yes, Olli, it really was about time…). That was fantastic news! A couple of weeks later, I realized that my favorite dress (which I wore at my sister’s wedding) doesn’t quite fit me anymore. I mean, it does fit, it’s just that I can’t really move once I am squeezed into this fantastic dress and there is a certain risk also that it might not make it through the night (and I don’t want to be remembered as the "friend from America" who made her dress explode!). Of course, there is always the option to buy a new dress, in fact, that would be a lot of fun (and I might end up doing that anyway). But I have decided to take this event as an opportunity to get in great shape for Andrea’s and Olli’s wedding (and that even though Andrea told me that there won’t be any hot single men at the wedding…really??). Plus, summer is just around the corner, there are so many good reasons to get in good shape now. As I am a Scientist by heart (which is difficult enough on its own), I decided to not just make this a “pre-wedding diet” but to start an experiment. A real experiment. Sue’s 6 week challenge.

How much can you transform your body in 6 weeks with hard exercise and healthy food?

So this is nothing like the “biggest loser” and luckily, I don’t have 200 pounds to lose… In fact, I have been quite active throughout the last year, I go for a run twice a week, I joined a bootcamp twice a week, I ran a marathon and I sometimes go the gym. I enjoy working out a lot, but I think I can kick it up a notch by pushing myself a little harder and especially by watching my diet a little closer. I don’t want to blame you, America, for putting weight on my hips but indeed I have to mention at this point that it was much easier to maintain my weight back in Europe (and we all know Bavaria isn’t exactly known for its skinny people!). San Francisco certainly has many great food options and the major problem is probably the portion size…oh, and the gigantic cookies, they are friend and enemy at the same time. But yes, in the end you have to eat the food yourself, so there is no one else to blame.

The 6-week challenge… not only will this be helpful to look brilliant at the wedding (don’t worry Andrea, I won’t try to compete with you at all!!) but also in order to kick start my marathon training. I just recently found out that I got in the Nike’s women marathon again, so I will take this project quite serious. Not too serious though. It will be interesting to document how much a body can change in 6 weeks…

So what's the game plan?

I just signed up for a 6 week bootcamp program called “Basic Training”, starting May 17th. That is when my 6 week-challenge will officially start. This is not the bootcamp I used to go to the previous months. I did a free test class at Basic Training recently – I thought I would be totally fine because after all, I have been with my other bootcamp for months running stairs and hills like a crazy person and this was Day 1 of the Basic Training bootcamp session of the “Newbies/Beginner” group… Bloody hell, I thought I will die from a heart attack! On day 1! It was so much more challenging than I imagined…so for sure, the next 6 weeks won’t be fun and you will hear me moaning and complaining quite a bit, but I am happy to share my experience with you. I will join Basic training 3 days/week and in addition, I will try to squeeze in as many runs as possible in order increase my mileage for the marathon. I was thinking to sign up for the San Francisco Half Marathon (which takes place end of July), so I better get running. I hope that I will be able to run though, I have no doubts that my muscles will be quite sore from Basic Training. In addition, I have a month worth of unlimited classes for the Bar Method…I know it sounds like a lot and it will be a lot, but it is for 6 weeks only and I am serious.


So thank you Andrea for inspiring me to this project. You have been such a great friend for me throughout the last 12 years! This experiment is an expensive one, so I better make it work….I spent $315 on Basic Training, $100 for the Bar method and $200 for two pairs of running shoes. But hey, wouldn’t you be willing to pay $600 if someone would promise you that you’ll look fantastic in 6 weeks…?? I would. Well, I did. Now we just have to figure out if I indeed will look "fantastic" in 6 weeks...Will it be easy? No. Definitely not. But I stick with the “no pain, no gain”-principle. Will it be worth it? Absolutely! I can’t wait to stand next to Andrea in a nice dress for the most important day in her life. I am very excited to start this 6 week long journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment