Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 37: Why do my muscles never get sore?

Today, we worked out with Michael and Charles. Before we started the workout, Michael asked us if we are sore from yesterday’s run. Everyone said “yes”, I didn’t say anything, because I feel if I say “no” it looks like I am not pushing hard enough... I was really at my limit when we ran those hills yesterday, but no, I am not sore. I said nothing but then he specifically asked me so I said “no”. I know that looks really bad on me. He just said “well, let’s see what we can do for you today!”…I knew it! I don’t know why, but I rarely get sore. I remember my very first week of bootcamp last year, I could barely move, I was in pain all week long. I like the feeling of being sore because it makes you think that you have really worked out hard, but my muscles seem to deal well with all that stress. Or may be I don’t push hard enough, but really in every single workout (including today), my sweat is dripping on the floor and my heartrate is up to 180, I think I do give my best. May be I just have a strange body that is very forgiving? Even after my marathon last year -I felt like I got hit by a bus the next day but my legs weren't sore. Weird, isn’t it?

Anyway, we did an Indian run to the pull-up bars at safeway, we had 2 very ambitious girls in our group that set a fast pace, it was difficult for me to keep up with the group and do the sprints in between…and I think it is almost 0.75 miles to get there. But I did it :) We did push ups, pull ups, tricep dips and bicep curls. And then the hard part started…we had to run around the green area which is 0.75 miles (I think). Coming close to the finish line, I realized that Michael was stopping our time – 6:45 min (I guess that would be approximately 8:50 minutes/mile). We did more push ups, pull ups and all that stuff to then line up for the second run – this time, we knew we would be timed and the task was to be faster than the first time. I ran it in 6:32 min but by then, I felt like I already gave all I had (just for the records, I usually run 10:30 min/mile…). Once again, we did exercises for the arms and the core to then line up a third time…I knew I couldn’t beat my last time…I ran it in 6:42 min and I was really exhausted. We had a minute break and then we had to run back to the parking lot (which is another 0.75 miles….) - so we definitely ran a lot today! But just like every day, I feel so great afterwards and now I wish I would have pushed harder to improve my time…but the moment I ran I was really breathing hard trying to stick with the group, I didn’t feel like I had a lot left in the tank (especially after yesterday’s hill-run…). It felt like torture when we had to do it (especially the moment you realize you will have to do it again…and again…) but you feel unbeatable afterwards :) When we came back to the parking lot, Jenn was there to met the 7 am-group. As I was saying goodbye, she said “Hold on a minute, I got something for you!”. She went to her car and gave me a coupon that she got in her mail – it was a 40% discount for my massage tonight! That was so nice of her to give it to me, made me really happy and speechless!

Got to work, finished my presentation for tomorrow and did a lot of reading. I left early because I wanted to practice my talk. I went to a bar method class in the evening with Kate, it was good. My abs were killing me though. I went to the spa afterwards – the massage was fantastic! I wish I could have one every week…And as I got 40% off the regular price, it really wasn’t too expensive. Unfortunately, I couldn’t shut my brain off and I had to think about my presentation throughout the massage – that wasn’t the purpose. But there was one part in my presentation that I somehow didn't like too much and it bugged me. I changed it as soon as I came home, I think it is much better now :) Now I feel very relaxed, I am actually looking forward to my seminar tomorrow. I feel strong, confident and ready, I know I can do this!

37 days down, 5 days to go – tomorrow will be a busy day at work, so I will make it my resting day for the week….

No comments:

Post a Comment